Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shepherding

I have been delaying writing. Embarrassed to put into print how uninspiring I feel right now.

Then I thought---

Whatever. Spill your beans.
This is the real deal. A Simple life.

Wake up.
Hit snooze button once, maybe
Stumble to kitchen.
Prepare sandwiches and lunches for the "princesses" as my Mom calls them. I say--humans that live with me when it is early in the AM and they won't roll out of bed.
Try to brush the little girls' hair and remove the bed-head look.
Play soft worship music.
Prepare school bags for the day.
Eat breakfast, most often cereal, but sometimes homemade muffins. On those days, the baking happens right after the "stumble to kitchen" part.  It isn't pretty.
Start coffee.
Remind them to make their beds and pick up the PJs that are on the floor. (Seriously, I say it everyday)
Encourage bible reading time or quiet listening to the music playing
Get 'em out the door with a smile.
Encourage the occasional straggler that is cramming books into her backpack that her day will be blessed.  "We are praying for you, honey!"

One hour of my day is now finished.

I don't love this morning routine, but adding the praise music playing on the ever-convenient iPhone allows us to have an underlying peace in the kitchen as we all gather in various states of consciousness and happiness. The praise music blesses me, at least, and then I can be less of a grump for them.  

Less of a grump, you see how honest I am? This is no sunny-side-up blogger you have here.

We are "encouraging" bible reading and quiet music soaking time. We were doing a group bible study, led by faithful Daddy, but the kids were too quickly zoning out in the 7 am study. Yeah, I can't come down too hard on them either. Even if you like what is being said, it is hard to focus on someone else talking at 7 am. Still knowing we needed to do something to remind them that the day ahead isn't all about the world around us, but about God as well, we began plain ol' "quiet time".

With all that is in me, I am trying not to push them into time with God as a duty on the morning check list, right after making the bed, but rather, after experiencing it as life-giving, hoping they will seek it out on their own.

My goal is to facilitate this time and provide a soft spot to land. I am their mother, not their spiritual boss. As much as I would like to tell them what to do, I cannot, in the end, control their relationship with God.  Just like I can't control their relationship with friends. I can't tell them how to be polite or loving, but I can show them by example and we can correct actions that we see. They must choose, but I can guide and lead by example. And pray for them, of course. Some people call this Shepherding.

I am realizing that I can't control their actions, even though I want them to be great young ladies. I can't holler at  them-- HEY, get in here and READ YOUR BIBLE! and have that count as a quiet time that connects with God. It may make me feel better about my mothering, knowing I've worked in a quiet time for them that day, but it may not do anything to increase their love for God. Perhaps, it could instill a bitterness about a quiet time. And, I never would never want to be a stumbling block. Someone might tie a millstone around my neck and drown me. (If you don't understand this, I'm sorry for the crude reference)

I waffle over these options : Do I set up bible time and ask them to follow it out of obedience and hope the heart follows it? Or, do I encourage the heart of love for God and hope that the routine of daily bible and quiet time overflows from that?

I don't claim to know the answer, and I suppose we have a mixed jury on the results out there, but I am going to say for now that I am trying to facilitate the heart of love for God by creating the space in the day, but letting my child develop her own path.We do the practical helps: play music, provide bibles, help remind them it is time, encourage journaling, and provide interesting devo websites or books. But they fill out their time. Then, it is truly their journey and their relationship with God. Not Mom and Dad's God that they are trying to follow.

God is the Father of the children that live in my house.
My husband and I are the pastors along the journey.
Father calls them and leads them.
We guide and shepherd.
And cook, and clean, and ferry them around, and wipe noses.
It is an honor to be a Shepherdess


3 comments:

  1. I love your honest unsunny-side up-ness! Great job LA making space for them--a great example for all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-men to that! Shepherding, not controlling our kids. Love it, Leigh Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved reading it, was thinking I wished I would have pushed this more. We did have time of reading the Word and praying, but never really worked on the individual thing. Good job Mom, wow your girls are looking big!

    ReplyDelete