Monday, March 26, 2012

A great Love

I have been inspired to live a life of LOVE like never before. I'm reading a very intense, very inspiring book called Present Perfect by Gregory Boyd.  I read it in bits and pieces off my iphone and try to let the words sink in.
See others through God's eyes
I choose to look at people through God, using God as my glasses colored with His love for them.
--Frank Laubach as quoted in Present Perfect


Paul says nothing matters except having a faith that is energized by, and characterized by, love (Galatians 5:6) All the law and the prophets hang on living in this love 
(Matthew 22:37-40)

But the author (rightly) points out that we tend to love those who reciprocate it, or we love those who have something to offer us in terms of worth and security.  True, sacrificial love comes from loving the unloved and--dare I say it--our enemies. That is a different, not so fun, thing.

Here is what I'm learning:  When I remember I have all the acceptance and love I will ever need from Jesus Christ, I am full. This world cheats me and makes me forget that I really am OK, even without the new Spring 2012 collection from Aeropostle.  It is extremely difficult to remember because my flesh so often wants to rule my thoughts and emotions, but I really am 100% loved and accepted as I am.  When I remember this (living what I believe in faith) , I can then focus all my attention on loving others, rather than comparing myself to them, or feeling offended when they weren't nice to me.

I can only live a life ruled by LOVE when I remember that I am LOVED as well. I hope you know how much this idea can change your life.

Some action point ideas I have:



God loves this guy (and I love that bread)
1. Smile a lot. Too many blank faces and iphone screen absorbed humans out there. Show 'em your eyes, people! It's like seeing a written letter from your child, scribbled in pencil after a day full of Times New Roman computer text. Simple human contact--it is the best.
 
2. When you have a complimentary thought about someone, tell them. SAY IT. It will build them up, and encourage them. We are all too often afraid of being lesser than someone else, we withhold blessing so we can all stay down in the pit together--no one better than another. A fairly pitiful situation.

3.  Take a few minutes to prepare things to help others.  In the past, we have prepared grocery bags with food to give away to the needy when they came to the door. I put in some fun reading material, too--hoping they could read.  When bags weren't already made, and when the needs came, it made me feel irritated that someone was bothering me in the midst of my busy life. (sad, but true)  With my husband's urging, I made more grocery bags again today. Maybe I'll even put one in the car to keep under the seat for when I'm out and about, which is practically 80% of my day. Now that the bags are made, I'm looking for the opportunity to give them out.  Same with old clothes--once they are bagged and categorized, I'm looking for a place to distribute them.


God loves this man
 

4.   Ask people good questions and really listen for the answers.  Is there something else they want to say as well? Are they depressed or sad and afraid to admit it? Is there a follow up question that needs to be asked? My husband is the best at this. I have learned that I have far to go in this area of showing love. Not my strength....Lord, help me.






God loves this boy and his sticky lollipop hands in the eye clinic
5. Be willing to serve.  Some people go on service projects to donate their talents or time for the needy. I encourage us all to find ways to serve others in our community and around the world. I could go on and on about this passion in my heart.




This kind of daily, sacrificial love might really take me some time to embrace, but I shall be trying.  However, pure dogged effort will eventually die away like a diet plan.  OK.  Well then, You and I can be transformed by our belief that God has loved us (John 3:16).

Transformation stays. Zealous effort does not.

Through transformation, we can begin to reject our flesh that says "That person is your enemy. They don't love you. Walk away.. Don't be nice to them. Retaliate." And we don't have to be so self-absorbed and needy that we only love others to meet our own needs for acceptance and worth.  We already have all the worth we could ask for in the eyes of God. This great Love is my motivation.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes they become enemies of others because they are unloved. But very few people really want to be "enemies" and nobody wants to be "unloved." Therefore, if we hold back the love with which God has filled this vessel, and keep it from those in need, we are not good stewards of that love. Of course, easy to say, harder to live.

    ReplyDelete