Thursday, March 1, 2012

Godly mothers don't yell "wooop wooooooop" in the kitchen

I want to be inspiring, but what I really am is Me.
Average, with spurts of greatness and dips of boring predictability.
Yet, still wonderful in eyes of God.

He made me.
He has a plan for me, a plan that accounts for my lack of perfection.
I have a use and a purpose in His Kingdom

Can I spill a little secret? I do random, loud, silly things in the privacy of my own kitchen. Sometimes I yell out "wooop woooooop" really loud. Sometimes I sing. Sometimes I make up very spontaneous, not well thought out rhymes for the kids. And it makes me happy!
God, who created me, knows I do these things. I am a just a bit silly.

And, I talk to myself in traffic.

I also love to investigate people's eye problems and try to help them with the practical solutions that I have studied. I have always wanted to be a doctor of some kind since I was a young girl. When I began studying about eyes, all the books made sense to me. I loved learning Science and Math. I hated History, and the only Napoleon I know is Dynamite.
It's like I was designed to be an Eye Doctor--and the more mature I become, the more my gifts show up in my daily life. Some days are wonderful, and I can meet the needs of the patient in front of me by listening, caring, and giving the best eye care and practical solutions for the needs they have. Other days, I am just average. I want to pray that every day I have a chance to be wonderful to someone that needs it by serving another person  in this world. I read this Bible verse in college one time and it grabbed my attention.

1 Peter 4:10 (NIV)

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
Now, the commentaries tell me that this speaks of "spiritual gifts", but my heart heard from God that that day in college that if I have practical giftings, I should share them in the same way--to serve others and show God's grace to others. One of my roles is to be a knowledgeable, and listening eye care provider. To be the blessing that someone has been praying for, or to give an answer someone has been searching for. There are other roles for me as well; other gifts to share with my husband and children---since they aren't nearly as blessed when I put eye drops in their eyes. They prefer the hugs, encouraging words and cookies. Hmm.

But what if I were to try to be more like someone else? Someone I think is better than me or someone I admire. What if I mimic them rather than be fully me? Then the world might miss a unique reflection, a special recipe of the character of God, that would not be shown in my life.

Smart, responsible, Godly mothers don't yell "wooop wooooooop" in the kitchen. And certainly, never eye doctors.
Says who???
I know one who does.
goober mom
* photos are actually of the same woman.....I know you must have some like them of yourself. Minus the Arabic graffiti shirt

eye clinic project for Bedoins
















Only listen to what God says about you:
He says you are wonderfully made and desired by Him  (Psalm 139: 14)
He says you have a plan and a purpose in this world (Jeremiah 29:11)
He has a place for you today in this world, with the ability to influence others for good.
He gave you a sense of humor. Maybe an awesome ability to average 20 digits in your brain. Maybe an uncanny ability to speak truth boldly. Perhaps you fix computers? (i need your number...)
I challenge you to find a way you can serve others with the gifts you have been given. See it as a chance to be the hands and feet of Jesus to someone.  It is OK if you feel the need to laugh or be funny, too. Sometimes the word "delight" is actually used in the Bible. It's not all weeping and praying, you know.


How can you be a unique reflection of God today? I would love to know more....



 

No comments:

Post a Comment