Monday, March 12, 2012

More than just smiling eyes

Is that Osama Bin Laden driving that Jeep?
Yes, I actually thought that, but I really didn't mean it.
What I meant was "A guy with a head scarf (hatta) and longish beard is driving that vehicle, which just happens to be a jeep."

He is most likely a great man, and not a terrorist.
I used to be surprised when people looking like this would smile or be polite.
 

Even closer to my heart, are those ladies wearing black veils.  Today, I was reminded how normal and precious they are.  I was blessed to visit an veiled American Arab woman today in her family's home city in Jordan.  She met my American friend while in Texas, and now she is in Jordan visiting her family.  One word: sweetheart.

Also, on this visit was a friend who is new in the country.  She hasn't met many Arab ladies, yet, but is destined to meet many more.  So this veiled woman, we'll call Angela, greets us with smiling eyes--for that is all we can see of her at this point. When we got settled, she pulled her veil up, revealing her round, happy  face, so that we ladies could talk together. We laughed, got to know each other, found some similarities and a possible new friendship.  We sipped strong coffee with sugar. We exchanged phone numbers and hope to see Angela again in America or in Jordan.  After goodbye hugs, she put down her veil, adjusted the eye openings, and headed down to the street a faceless young mother.

As we drove away, my friend who is new to the country made a wonderful observation:
Angela is just like us. A young mother. A friend. A laughing girl who loves to visit others. A young bride ready to go back to her husband. Seeking happiness and joy.
We felt honored that she would let us know the 'real' her, not keeping her veil down any longer than she had to.

Many people who dress like this are asked to do so by their family, and some by their own conviction.  Either way, they truly are normal people underneath the veil or behind the beard.  They have beliefs that guide their social behavior, but still human. I have beliefs that guide my behavior, too.

I believe that sometimes a smile and kindness blesses immensely.
I believe that we can adapt our behaviors to accommodate others.
I believe that we can influence others with our encouraging words, and the advice we give.

These days, I try to smile and greet as many veiled women as I can (wearing a niqaab). Sometimes, I can see their eyes smile like with Angela today. I often wonder if these faceless women are socially ignored or avoided due to the ---I will be honest--slightly frightening appearance of all the black veils. We figure they are unreachable, since we can't see them behind the veils.

Phooey--Malarkey--and all those other nonsense words.

I also cannot see you, but here I am speaking to you, because I want to communicate my heart and mind to you. What do you want to communicate to them? I want to communicate love and acceptance.

Let's remember, like my new friends reminded me today, that behind the veil is a woman, like me.
She wants friends and wants to smile, too.
And that Jeep guy just wanted to get to the traffic light.



1 comment:

  1. Leigh Anne,
    Thank you for allowing me to see through your eyes. I love what I see, loving and accepting of those who challenge you. 20/20 spirit eyes.
    I love you young lady Green.

    ReplyDelete