Thursday, February 2, 2012

My senses failed me

I'm a Senser.

My spell check doesn't know that word because I think I just now made it up. Allow me to define my new vocabulary word.
Senser: one who takes in the world around her through her senses and interprets meaning from what she senses.

I have taken a few of those Myers-Briggs Personality Type tests and they come out with ISTJ for me. I could be therefore described as an Introverted, Senser, Thinker, who Judges. Well, that sounds horrible. You can visit a great website for Myers Briggs testing to get more definition or explanation on my type and yours. It is uncanny how they can describe me in a paragraph.
(one of) my Yankee candles

I sense.
I generally believe what I see, I taste, I smell, I feel and I hear.

You will often find scented candles, praise music, a clean home and comfy shoes on me and around me, since those are what I prefer and value. Or, you'll find a messy home, since I work part time and have 4 kids.

So, my senses help me take in my world.  The trouble for me is this:  I am currently in the midst of a season where I am struggling to be happy, content, thankful, and joyful.

I have the complainer's blues.

I just read Paul's sermon on LOVE to the Corinthians and came face to face with words that showed me I was not LOVE, since love is patient and kind, it is not proud and keeps no record of wrongs. Well, help me Lord--I am needing a serious infusion of your Love to change my heart. I am a chief of sinners.

I am sitting around, frustrated and unhappy. Awaiting a new day for a new chance to be happy with what my senses tell me.

It is time to let my memory of what the Lord has done be the input I believe, not just what I sense today.

This would be like the Israelites from long ago building stone pillars of remembrance to remind themselves to honor God and tell their children of the history of His faithfulness.
This would allow me to experience JOY today, even if my circumstances are the same as yesterday.  (They aren't however, since our heaters are fixed and have fuel for fire--Thank You Lord, Trey, the electrician, the fuel guy,  the two assistants, and for the money in the bank to buy the fuel)
This would make me a better mother.
This would make me a more LOVING person to everyone.

This I must now do.  Live by faith, and not by sight (or feel, or smell, or hearing).




3 comments:

  1. perhaps some perspective may help? Allow me to offer a peek from a new view. As someone who spent my own period of time wandering in the dessert (7 years in Phoenix) physically, and metaphorically wandering spiritually, I have learned to be extremely thankful for every bad choice, damaging sin, dangerous thought, because the result of each contributed to who I am and where I am today. From this side of that journey, I can clearly recall when I re-connected with you on Facebook. I remember it clearly because the moment I saw your smiling face in a pic of "people you may know" I was immediately reminded of your loving grace, warmth, hospitality, sincerity, authenticity, and humility. And I knew right away that was a person I wanted to interact with again! The work you do in Jordan, and the way you are raising princesses is a joy to see and I am sure is impacting eternity in a way we only be able to fully appreciate on the other side of pearly gates. I hope your cup is refilled, and your joy fully realized, because your overflow splashes on many, many shores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean, you are a great man with so much to offer others.I so appreciate your encouragement. Thank you

      Delete
  2. Doh! I am surprised your mama didn't slap my wrist... "desert", not "dessert"! I may or may not have had a dessert or 2 or 20 during my 7 years in the desert! Much love to you and your's!

    ReplyDelete