Thursday, February 16, 2012

(Fast chocolate chip cookie recipe) aka: Easy way to be your family's hero if you have 30 minutes

Hey there,
From one of the reigning queens of practicality in this day and age, to you, my wonderful friend:
I give to you a precious jewel.
A help in a pinch
An opportunity to bless anyone from ages 1 to 99.

The fastest homemade cookies you'll ever see,
(via Angie Schupp, MD, BFF) another reigning queen of practicality with a higher rank than I hold.

Ingredients, in order of use:
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil (corn, canola)
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark
  • 1 tsp vanilla flavoring, or more
  • 2 eggs 

I put add the first 4 ingredients in a mixing bowl  and mix with a fork. Then I add the eggs and mix them also with the same fork.
  •  2 1/2 cup flour, or 1 1/2 c flour and 1 c oats
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
OK. here's the deal.  I add the dry ingredients right on top of the wet ingredients in the same bowl. None of that "two bowls and hand mixers" stuff for me--I wash too many dishes as it is.
Adding the dry right on top of the wet, I then mix it in the dough with the same fork as above.  Get a bit of exercise and stir it right up.  Let's just put KitchenAid right out of business and use our biceps to mix stuff.

  • 1/2 bag of any chocolate or butterscotch chips.
Place them in spoonfuls/blobs/well shaped balls on a cookie sheet in the preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, depending on your oven. When they come out, slightly cooked on top, let them sit on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes while the dough sets to harden. Then you can use a spatula and remove the cookie before it sticks to the sheet and crumbles to pieces. C'mon--you've been there, right?


I really think they are yummy. Cheaper and easier than baking with butter or Crisco (at least overseas prices) and I can mix it with a fork. If I have butter flavoring, I'll add a cap full to make up for any loss from not using butter.

Being honest: I use the same1/2 cup measure scoop for the whole recipe.  I fill it up 1.5 times for the oil, then dip it into the sugars and let it get all sugary.  Then, I'm so careless as to use the same 1/2 cup scoop for my flour measurements. The scoop gets layers of ingredients on it and I just keep on using it, scraping it at the end into the bowl.  I use a tsp for the other smaller measurements.

Anyhow, the kids end up thinking I'm a hero, and it doesn't cost too much money or time. I have taught the older girls how to make them on their own, and now Camryn will often make them for us as a spontaneous gift, based half out of love/service and half out of eating dough while she works. Just imagine coming home to homemade cookies that you didn't make. Well, it is true. But it started with me doing it for her.


This is my mom tip for the day.

Cut corners and simplify, and the job becomes more manageable. You might find the job becomes more tolerable. Shall we venture to think it becomes fun?  Why yes, when love and joy are behind these jobs, they can become fun.
Honestly thought, some jobs, such as laundry or bathroom cleaning--even with all the simplification you can make, stay in the tolerable category.
Jesus said, "In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!"

Happy Baking!

Leigh Anne

please let me know if you tried it and if you'd like other similar "too practical for my own good" recipes.



1 comment:

  1. Amazingly yummy and really looks delicious! . I'm definitely craving for a plate of that right now. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. This is definitely a must do recipe this weekend since I got my Food Safety Training.

    ReplyDelete