Tuesday, February 21, 2012

God's the Boss

I just don't know what to say.
So, let's bring up the weather.
No, my kids and their achievements.
Or, let's switch the subject to you....

Or, I could think really hard about what I do and don't like about the way God created me. Or, about the lessons I've learned recently........

That's it. That is what I need to share with you.
---excerpts from an actual Leigh Anne Green head conversation with herself


Here's a "God's The Boss" story for you today....

Recently, I had our car tuned up, oil changed, and wiper blades changed at a local mechanic. When I picked the car up, there was a small crack on the windshield that grew rapidly. At first, I questioned if it was there before I took it in, but after watching it spread from the point of impact at the base of the wiper blades, I thought the mechanic must have accidentally done this. I thought surely he would pay to replace it once it was clear they were at fault.

Well, in a perfect world with mannequins.

When I took it back to the mechanic, the interaction between us wasn't the most peaceful and they were reticent to admit fault. It was an odd interaction, but I ended up feeling like a pushy customer. The men at the shop were telling me "not to worry about the crack, it wouldn't leak water." Duh. Yeah, I've been driving for over 20 years now, so I was indeed aware of that. It was more the unjust feeling of "you did this" that was stuck in my head. I was irritated when the deal was finished, but was thankful to get my car back with a new windshield. I drove away quickly and resolved to never go there again.

Then today happened.

Because of heavy traffic, I turned a different way to go to work. I even remember asking God quickly "should I really go this way?" and I did think that it was time for the detour.  Sitting at the traffic light, I hear a small sound and look at my temperature gauge which is near to the HOT indicator.  Oh man!!!!
And immediately I recognized that I was just a stone's throw from the mechanic's shop. You are kidding me, right, God?  I was feeling rebellious and not wanting to call that mechanic, but instead open up the hood (in my work dress--with my blonde hair blowing--on the highway in Jordan---are you seeing how far fetched I was???) and attempt to open the fuming radiator cap by myself.  Trey offered to come drive across town to help me, or....
I could just call the mechanic.

I had to think, to pause, and proceed to surrender my obstinate will.

And called the mechanic.

I wondered if he would even answer after seeing my phone number on the caller ID.
He answered and was helpful. I drove the car to his shop and the guys filled up the empty radiator (after the steam blew everywhere. So glad that I didn't try that on the highway--in my dress--amongst the traffic jam of humanity) and tested the hoses and belts.  All free of charge.

But let's talk about the invisible aspect of feelings and what was happening in the Spirit--there was a relational shift that happened. This mechanic was slightly cold to me at first--the pushy customer from last week. I departed from the previous encounter not intending to bless him or anyone else related to his place of business. Maybe I left an impression about Americans, about Christians, about me--I don't know, but the impression was not a lovely one. No fragrance of Christ--even if he actually did crack the windshield.
---side note:  Sometimes being right isn't always the main point. I have GOT to write this on my palm so I don't forget it.
Then I receive my blessing... of an overheated radiator that caused me to be thrust, as it were, back into the messy sea of feelings and thoughts that I stirred up. Let's look at my challenge that way, shall we?  An opportunity to make right a wrong in my heart.  I was able to be kind to the mechanic and staff, and be overly thankful for their services for me, and wipe the slate clean. I  even referred another job to them.

God did this for me today. He gave me a second chance to finish the job and run the race well. He allowed me to not carry unnecessary baggage in my heart during the race.  I do believe I'm destined to win.

And, so are you.

Let's be thankful God's the Boss--He is infinitely wise and kind. I hope you see His hand pushing you towards uncomfortable ropes you've tied off in your life.  While it seems horribly uncool and oddly coincidental at the time, the Father has your best interest at heart. I encourage you, from my repeated experience, to walk through the ropes you never wanted to untie and recross them in peace.


Receive restoration.

 

“I do not say that I have already won the race or have already reached perfection. But I am pressing on, striving to lay hold of the prize for which also Christ has laid hold of me.”
  Philippians 3:12
“Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.”
1 Corinthians 9:24


1 comment:

  1. Oh Leigh Ann, how I can relate, just wanting to have justice, not to mention the frustrations of all of this in a different culture! Great job choosing humility and receiving God's goodness in the midst--NOT easy in this situation!!!

    ReplyDelete