Saturday, April 14, 2012

Waffles--Everybody loves waffles! (Or does nobody waffle like I do?)

Waffles.
If you choose to read further, you'll see how this all relates because of the beauty of the English Language.


So, when the Shrek movies came out, I remember sitting in the theater with Trey, laughing SO hard with my knees pulled up to my chest. Donkey, especially, really said very funny things with lots of excitable utterances. I almost purchased a stuffed Donkey one year at Christmas.
Decided against it.
Thankfully, I rewatch these moves every now and then on DVD with the kids. Click the link for an 11 second byte of waffles.

That waffle byte fun and calorie-free, but I would like to share with you more than my Shrek memories

I think I finally learned that I am nobody.
A paradoxical thought, because I truly believe I am somebody.

What?

Yes. You might as well stop reading this jibberish.
Why is this post about waffles but not really? Have you been tricked?

Let us rephrase--

I am a nobody in these ways:
1. I don't have all the answers
2. I am not the only person who can do a job well
3. If I had to leave my place here in my country, or in my current job, someone else could and would come along and fill my position.

Yet, I am truly a somebody in these ways:
1. God created me for a purpose and I can exhibit His gifts in me to the world around me.
2. I am super important to my family. I am a somebody of great worth to them.
3. I can love others and show them how God loves them through my actions.

I waffle between these two extremes at times, thinking I have all the answers and no one can explain post-operative refractive surgery directions like I can.  (Put this medicine in your eye.... I mean, really.  How hard is my job?  What am I even thinking?)  Then, there are days, when I don't even feel like I have a purpose much outside of cooking and cleaning the house over and over again.

So--as in many things in life, I come to rest on the obvious fact that the truth lies in between. I am a somebody, yet a nobody.

The danger in falling completely on one side or the other is that I become riddled with  Pride or Worthlessness depending on which waffle I'm waffling with that day.
Belgian or American.
I say we choose NEITHER waffle and opt for muffins.

Live in the balance of knowing our worth, yet recognizing our insignificance.
Being willing and humble servants, yet bold warriors as we go forth in this world.

Happy Waffling!



Homonym - a word the same as another in sound and spelling but different in meaning
waffle:  (noun) A light crisp battercake baked in a waffle iron.
waffle: (verb) To vacillate; or to pause or hold back in uncertainty or unwillingness

No comments:

Post a Comment