Thursday, April 19, 2012

Spitters never win

Scenario from this morning in Amman--

Driving to Starbucks in an residential neighborhood
Two young teenage boys cross the street in front of my car.
I slow and motion for them to pass
Politely.

One of them turns and spits on my windshield as I drive past them.

What in the world could have incited him to do such a thing?

Spite? Hatred? Anger?

The only thing I can figure is that because I was female or a foreigner. Either way, a puny reason to spit. (IMO: there is never a good reason to spit except at the dentist)  He didn't see my clothing, nor could he tell my nationality for him to pass a judgment on me, other than the two seconds he saw me as I waved them on in front of my car.

Isn't it outrageous?  After being irritated for 5 seconds, I sprayed water on the windshield and washed away the undeserved evidence. I didn't roll down my window and yell at him or anything, because the battle for this young man is bigger than correcting his actions of spitting at my car.

Somehow, he believes lies about who he is and what is worthy of praise.  Some people actually believe that just because you are female, that deserves spitting. Or of a different race. Or class of society. Or religion.
Either way, they are all incorrect assumptions. I hurt for someone so tangled up on the inside they think that spitting on someone else makes them higher up in society than others. This young man needs another young man to walk with him and teach him the ways of God.  I have a suspicion that his parents aren't involved in shaping his character.

Trey is reading a book , which I'm hesitant to read, about the early believers and the persecution they underwent.  Being spit upon would have been an easy day for them, it seems. Trey phrased it, "they really didn't love their lives unto death"  That is taken from Revelation 12, but it seems a bit hard to understand. What I understand is: The believers of old loved their Lord so much, that the love of their own lives/ safety/ worldly security was secondary to their love of serving God.  Beautiful....

How can we make loving the Lord our first priority every day? I don't have the answers,but I would think the answer lies within you. Just ask and see what He says. Someone might be asked to reach out to the youth of this nation and teach them not to spit. Or cuss. Or tease people.

I hope you and I both try to love our own lives a bit less today.

For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.


1 comment:

  1. After reading these words, I wanted to share my own SPIT Acrostic:

    Sorry you had to experience this today

    Proud that you did not retaliate with words or gestures

    Inspired to go out today and love others more than I love myself

    Thankful that I have been blessed with such a wonderful daughter

    ReplyDelete