Sunday, January 15, 2012

Just Say It

Speaking

It is a powerful gift that brings the thoughts and feelings stirring inside of us and gives them life. So many times I think nice thoughts, encouraging and sweet things, but they don't make it to my tongue. Just the other day I noticed an Arab co-worker's eye make up and how nicely all 5 colors were blended together.

OK--side note, for you Americans...Arab girl eye make up can be a 1 hour application affair.  They are serious about make-up and perfume, for that matter. Oh, and heels. Hair gel, too.  I diverge.....

Well, I couldn't get up the nerve to blurt out, "Hi. your eye makeup looks really nice!" I missed the opportunity to be a blessing and an encouragement.

I won't go into the other 10 missed opportunities I had the same day. (sigh). Being a slight introvert and internal processor, most all of my thoughts stay inside of my head.

Instead, I resolve to speak the truth more often. I must say what I feel and think in my heart and let others be blessed and encouraged.  I will change their day for the better with my spoken word. My husband is the best at this, bless his heart.

Also, you know what? Speaking out the truth when I'm discouraged helps break out of the downward spiral of the thoughts.  Today, after catching myself being overly sad about not having enough heat or gas, I said out loud to Mattie, "Yes, but God has not forsaken us."  Mattie thought I was crazy and said, "Of course not, Mom, I just said my toes were cold". However, this little honest cry of truth helped me and I noticed how much more at peace I felt right away. 

Silly little worrier, I am. (She says in her best Yoda Speak)


So, I begin to declare it: God is Good and He is For ME!  And, to be faithful in the small things, I must go tell my co-worker that I like her makeup, too.










2 comments:

  1. Oh, I totally know what you mean! I always miss great opportunities because my mouth can't catch up with my mind. But how do i think to do it faster or remember to say what I am thinking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's sweet to read from you Leigh Ann! How I can relate with the heating concerns and oh how powerful are the declarations! Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete