Friday, June 22, 2012

Marhaba Ya'll

We did it. We moved.

After 8 years of life in the Middle East, we packed what we deemed keep able into 15 trunks and 6 duffel bags and moved back to Texas.
Last day of 1st grade in Jordan

As I was saying goodbye to so many wonderful people, I was convinced more than ever that our years were well spent, investing in the lives of a precious group of Arab people, and working alongside a precious group of American people. So, if days were currency, we spent them.
We lived them.
We did not put them in our pockets for a rainy day.
Good thing, because it didn't rain much in the desert.

We are ready to use the lessons we learned about God as our provider and leader, about people, about understanding others, and about investing in others' lives to begin a new chapter.

Our Texas homeland is organized. The roads are well paved. All the houses are master planned in rows. But, still people here need to know God intimately, so we want to share how He has met our physical needs, and how He was and IS our friend in lonely times.


Some things I hope to enjoy:
1. Smooth roads
2. Air conditioning
3. Wearing skirts
4. Nearness to family
5. A quiet outdoors without horns, mosque speakers, and loud cars

Some things I suspect I'll miss:
1. Cheap produce and hummus/felafel
2. Dry, cool breeze blowing in from the Mediterranean over Israel at night
3. Sitting on my balcony, enjoying that weather
4. Jogging in the hills
5. Simple living


My challenge is to search for the hidden treasures in the nature around me here--to slow down enough to look at the flowers here, and walk in the rain showers. Really, if I don't "do" my hair, then I can enjoy the rain as it falls on my head, rather than being frustrated it is messing up my perfect "do."  My challenge is to find the same, quiet place of peace and solitude even though my internet moves at light speed and the TV has recorded ever show known to man. Seriously, the phones here sync to your car speakers and things talk to you!! Technology has moved on while I was hanging out with the sheep and camels.

God is the same, yesterday and today. He is the same provider, friend, and father to Americans and Arabs.

I have nothing to fear.

I only have new challenges to work through...important ones like how to make my own hummus.

1 comment:

  1. Bethany makes her own hummus. I do to time to time too.

    ReplyDelete